Monday, December 17, 2012

A Holiday Opportunity

“Merry Christmas” – it is such a sweet sentiment but like all things can be used for good or evil.

I LOVE CHIRSTMAS!! It is definitely my favorite holiday and I think it is right and beautiful to celebrate the birth of the one who saved us. However, Christmas is an opportunity to remind friends and family that we love them and to reach out and love people in the name of Jesus. I think it is alright to say “Happy Holidays” at times. I’ve heard a lot of Christians lose their cool about how they are not going to say “Happy Holidays” – they want to get in people’s faces and say “Merry Christmas”. It can be a very passionate position for some to the point where they look like they want to kill somebody. To be honest, I used to feel the same way. Let’s keep Christ in Christmas, right? When has shoving Christ down someone’s throat actually won them over?

I have been privileged to live and work in very diverse situations over the past couple of decades and I enjoy learning about different cultures. As I genuinely show an interest in who they are as an individual and the things that are important to them, it affords me the opportunity to share the things that are important to me. Are we loving people or winning them to Christ by disrespecting who they are, their culture, and their celebrations? Do we not reach people more by loving them where they are at? The examples of Christ in the Bible are ones of those going to people where they are at and their lives being changed by His grace, mercy and love. He went and ate with the tax collector; He asked for water from a Samaritan; and he didn’t go turning the water into acai juice at the wedding!

To my fellow Christians, and especially to my Christian friends and family, I wish you all a Very Merry & Blessed Christmas! To those of you who may celebrate another holiday at this time of year, I hope it is a very special time for you – Happy Holidays!!


(revised 12/13)


No comments:

Post a Comment